Tuesday 26 June 2007

I hate bagpipes

I hate bagpipes. I'd rather listen to someone screaming for an hour. If I stood on the hill behind my house and screamed very loudly every summer Sunday evening between 7 - 8pm someone would complain, I'm sure. When that bastard bagpiper does it, it's all "culture", "heritage", "tradition", "stirring".

It's very horrible. Are we listening to the same thing?

I had assumed everyone else really hated bagpipe music too and they were just pretending because it was the right thing to do, like with beer or Mozart, but no. I've got into enough Highland taxis now to know they actually listen to the stuff of their own free will. Incomprehensible.
*

Yul Bryner is better than bagpipes.

(pic stolen from erin o'brien's blog)

11 comments:

Erin O'Brien said...

Bagwhats? Did you say something? I was so captivated by Yul, I didn't notice.

Anonymous said...

God I hate bagpipes too. Absolutely can't stand them. Horrible wailing grinding screeching cacophony. How do all those Scots stand them? But you're right, you can flaunt the most outrageous things in the name of tradition and heritage and all those mindless status-quo concepts. Just about anything would be better than bagpipes, even the Teletubbies.

bye bye bellulah said...

erin, I love it when a plan comes together.

nick, ehoh. They have competitions too. How do the judges tell the difference? The one that makes their ears bleed the least is the winner?

Anonymous said...

Love it. And presumably some female drudge gets to mop up the blood.

tallulahbloom said...

My mum got remarried last year and walked down the aisle to bagpipes, it isn't a pleasant sound at all!On the plus side the piper had nice legs.

Erin O'Brien said...

Please tell me you peeked under his kilt!

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started on kilts! What exactly is the point of them except to show (a) you are or you'd like to be Scottish (b) you belong to some obscure clan somewhere in the Outer Hebrides (c) you're happy to wear semi-revealing clothing teasing the likes of Erin.

bye bye bellulah said...

Hmm...now...kilts.
I like kilts, me.

Neal said...

"Amazing Grace" played on bagpipes at a funeral is about the saddest thing I've ever heard. Would I listen to bagpipes in my car on purpose? No.

Steerforth said...

Ever heard this joke:

Q - What is the definition of a gentleman?

A - Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.

bye bye bellulah said...

Not till now, but it's music to my ears.