Thursday 26 July 2007

Seventh Heaven

Jenny lists 7 songs she's currently listening too, here are mine -
Santa Marinello by Gogol Bordello: New York/Hungarian Gypsy Punk, Clash, Pixies, Pogues type combo who are so much fun on disc, I can't wait to see them live.

Ickythump by the White Stripes: My fave tune this year so far, bit prog rocky

the whole of Takk by Sigur Ros: Not listened to this for ages and then plopped it on one day and fell in love again. It's practically one extended track anyway.

Life During Wartime by Talking Heads: Takes me back to being a student and going to see the concert film at a late night showing in a small independent cinema. and dancing, in a cool fashion, in the aisles. They were so entertaining, intelligent, a bit dark but danceable and singalong.

Tom Traubert's Blues by Tom Waits: I have a different favourite Tom Waits song (does that need an apostrophe or not?) every month. Something in the lyrics or his voice or the music or the mood will catch me and that'll be my new fave for a while.

The Cowboy Song by Tom Hanks (from Joe Versus the Volcano film): Not much to write home about as a song, just makes me happy.

Open Heart Zoo by Martin Grech: He was about 17 when he recorded this and yes I did hear it on the TV commercial and go looking for it, but I'm glad I did because the rest of the cd was a real find. noisy and intense, but rewarding.

None of these would make my poptastic top 40 fave song list, but you don't want to eat cherries every day!!

4 comments:

Annie said...

Love that Talking Heads film. Wish I had been born in time to see the show.

Betty said...

"It's prog rock!" my husband said triumphantly whenever he heard Icky Thump. Which gave him a tenuous excuse to get out all his dusty Yes albums again, unfortunately.

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

Good one. Recently I have been listening to Kings of Leon. The lead vocal Caleb Followill, oh I love his voice, well also the way he uses it in the songs. I love all of their songs and do not skip any. For me to buy a CD and not to skip any of the songs is a rare thing especially with bands of late (last 5 years).

bye bye bellulah said...

The boyfriend I went to see the film with all those years ago recently sent me the DVD out of the blue, that's what got me back into the TH groove.

Prog Rock, it's the future. Man.

Yeh, I hadn't realised I'd been doing that too, even with my most favouritist recent bands like the Guillemots.