Monday 16 July 2007

Home Sweet Home



I live here. Just off the right edge of the photo. When I first arrived in town to have a look around, I hated it on sight. I thought it was shabby and tired and barren. I was bitten 6 times by midges, it was three hours by train from the nearest city, it was misty and rainy and I decided within 50 yards of the train station to get the next train back to civilisation.

Luckily for me the next train anywhere was six hours later, so I took a walk up and down the length of the high street, bought a newspaper and a sandwich and went to have a look behind the railway station for a sheltered place to sit down.

Behind the station is the ferry terminal for boats to the Western Isles / Inner and Outer Hebrides and there was plenty of time for a round trip to the Isle of Mull. Forty-five minutes by boat, one hour on the coach to Tobermory (Mull's capital) at the other end and time for a hot cup of tea and a nice sit down before coming back with half an hour to spare for going to the loo before the train home.

A dull, tiresome, wet day. All in six hours on the train, an hour by taxi, an hour and a half on a boat, two hours on a coach just to decide that I wasn't going to apply for the job and move out here.

But, on the boat on the way back I went out onto the deck in the dirty muggy rain and watched the scenery roll by. Just off Kerrera Island I caught sight of two dolphins playing in the water, the sun came out and a rainbow appeared, the smell of warming earth wafted over the water and I just changed my mind. Moved here a month later and can't believe I ever wanted to be anywhere else.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that must be Oban, and it looks very pretty in your photo. And plenty of even prettier scenery all around it. I've only been to Oban once, on a teenage car tour round Scotland, and it poured with rain the whole time I was there. A shame I couldn't see in better circumstances. But I had a great trip to Loch Tay and Glencoe last summer. Brilliant that you fell in love with Oban all of a sudden and are still entranced. I bet your quality of life is a hell of a lot better than in some teeming, grimy city like Glasgow.

tallulahbloom said...

After that description I think I would like to move there.

Annie said...

That place looks fantastic. I dream about living somewhere like that one day in Iceland.

Klearchos said...

It looks fascinating!!

Betty said...

Sigh ... I really need to move to somewhere that I actually love to live, which is something I've never done. If only for the good of my health - I'm sure I'm allergic to where I live at present. I get headaches everyday that I never get when I'm somewhere else!

Steerforth said...

I saw the 'Oot an' aboot' DVD and although I normally don't like going north of the Thames, I was bowled-over by the stunning scenery. My abortive attempt to visit Scotland this year was a direct result of watching that DVD.

bye bye bellulah said...

steerforth, I bet if you told the shop you were coming up they'd be delighted to take you Oot n Aboot in the van and you could recreate the farmer-slapping-highland-cow-on-the-arse-to-make-it-run-across-camera scene!