Saturday 7 July 2007

Holding hands in love around the world


Apologies to any teenagers, or parents of children or people who used to be younger, but I hate teenagers, children and young people. Well, children aren't that bad, except they take such a long time to get to 30.


Facebook: The social networking site – which until last September was restricted to students - saw its unique user base soar to 26.6 million users as of May 2007, up a hefty 89 percent year over year and more than double the 14 million users the site claimed prior to the lifting of all registration restraints, according to a new report issued by comScore. And perhaps most surprisingly, close to 40 percent of Facebook’s audience, or 10.4 million uniques is now 35 and over. That’s nearly 3 million more users than the 7.8 million 18-24 years olds that frequent the site.

Ha!



Work experience boy (14): I like mostly old stuff, Led Zeppelin, I don't know if you've heard of them - to,

Me: No, I was born old yesterday


Me: That was rude - to,

Saturday girl (16): All my friends at school speak to each other like that. I think it must be an age thing - to,

Me: No I know old people who are rude too. Oh, maybe you're right, you're not properly grown up yet are you, not socially mature


Me: I'm coming to your school to sit a supervised exam while you're doing your Highers - to,

Saturday boy (17): Don't worry, Angus and I'll look after you - to,
Me: (Insert grateful response here) Why will I need looking after? - to,

Sb (17): Aren't you bothered about being older than everyone else? - to,

Me: Why would I be bothered? Why would you assume that the opinions of children would interest me in the slightest? It's not like you're important in the bigger scheme of things


I hate their optimism and plans and world revolves around me-ness. I love being older now and wouldn't go back beyond 30 for anything. You don't know shit, babies. Why do they assume they are the default setting for the present and the future?


Like what men do. Men? Men? Big Swinging Dicks and Masters of the Universe everyone of them. In their own heads and trousers. Oh look at me I'm a man therefore I'm the boss of you. I'm the default setting for "a person". How many times when people say 'and other people' do they mean 'not men'. There are no other people except men, except women.


Women, what's that moaning all about? Always fucking moaning about something. Younger women, see above, and stop being so vain and fragile, yes people do like you for the way you look and then you'll hit 40 and the invisible conveyor belt under your feet will stop and fling you off the end onto the scrap-heap. All middle-aged women are boring, self-righteous, neurotic and patronising, especially mothers. Mothers, like young people and men assume they're the default setting and childlessness is naturally, pitifully or willfully wrong.
Get a whicker shopping basket and die.

7 comments:

Tim F said...

I tend to agree with you. Except the bit about Led Zep. Never got the point of them. I even preferred the jazzy version of 'Whole Lotta Love' they used on TOTP in the older days (with the flute solo).

Sorry.

bye bye bellulah said...

No no, the young person was assuming because I was old enough to be his Mumma I wouldn't have heard of Led Zep.

bye bye bellulah said...

Although I do like a bit of The Led Zeps now and again.

Anonymous said...

Heavens what brought on this little diatribe? Though I do tend to avoid the young mainly on the grounds that they don't have anything very original to say, not having done very much. Of course they THINK they're original, so did I at that age, but oldies who've knocked around a bit and had plenty of shit thrown at them tend to be more sussed and more interesting.

Personally I find older women a lot more interesting than younger women, for the same reasons. Bland, innocent faces starting to crumple and wrinkle a bit are exactly what catch my attention. But I'm obviously not a typical bimbo-fixated male.

I wrote about this in Maidens Pursued (April 24). So did Jenny in On trying to grow old gracefully (South Belfast Diary March 24). They might ring a few bells!

bye bye bellulah said...

I went into work yesterday as a favour, always a bad move, and within half an hour my boss/the owner, told me the 'girls' (30 and 32 with 5 kids between them) might settle down a bit once there was a man about the place because he'd have more authority (he starts tomorrow, I will be his boss); my boss tells me the new man is gay BUT has some good experience (wrong, wrong, wrong, and I've lived with a gay man for the last 4 years who is my best friend in the world); I ask a customer if I can help, he points to the summer temp nearly 20 years my junior and says, 'No, it's ok love I want a quiet word with the manager' (me - I let him learn that the embarassing way); the teenage thing is just constantly re-inforced every time I come into contact with them. Yes I was just the same when I was their age, but I'm in a bad mood at having to smile at so many people I'd really rather slap.

I know YOU do Nick, I think I commented on your April post!! When my tantrum is over I'll search out Jenny's too : )

Anonymous said...

Yes I realised later that was your first comment on my blog! How time flies. Your work story is very familiar - the women I work with have plenty of stories along the same lines.

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

Thank you for this post, it is my thoughts exactly, I have to say. Maybe because I am learning to be "socially mature". Actually thinking about it, I am just waiting to grow up as I age with the speed of light, since 31. I loved the snippets of young vs. older from your point of view.

Nick. My boyfriend says he loves older women and women with curves. Hence, no chance of me being motivated enough to reduce the size of my butt. I adore guys who do not drool over teenage girls for the way they look. To me it feels like to deserve any attention at all, you have to look a certain way and be a certain age group. It pisses me off so much, although I couldn't care less who looks at me and who doesn't. Funny Ha!